Monday, April 14, 2008

This one's gonna be T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!

Child rearing myth #1: Labor ends when the baby is born.-- Anonymous

I should have known!! His impatience sent him out 19 days early with a cord around his neck and a true knot right in the middle of it. The doctor claimed she had never seen one before. OHHH, he's gonna be trouble.
That was the beginning of three months of constant worry for this new mother. I was pretty calm throughout my pregnancy. I only obsessed over a few details and what was to come was definitely not one of them. I feel like when you are pregnant, you obsess over these devestating events that could happen to your baby because you really don't have anything to grasp onto. OMG, he's going to get Autism..OMG, he's going to come out with three arms, no hair, and a wonky eye. It's the small..realistic..things that you don't count on. Corbin started out great..and then..he threw us a curve ball.

It started with normal symptoms..spitting up, snoring, gasping noise..and of course, the classic poo problems. Then turned into projectile vomitting and constant screaming. Thank god he was cute when he was sleeping :) We had a system that worked like a charm...everytime he ate (I despised feeding my child!) we would take the bottle to burp him, sprint to the bathroom, throw on all lights, fans, and water to distract the screaming. He would burp..sometimes after TWO hours...and we would sprint back to finish the bottle. What a freakin' nightmare!!!! But the system worked. Finally, two and a half months hit. I was so sick of the show that I could have thrown up. I had pumped my brains out and had SIX HUNDRED ounces to use for a month, so I could stop pumping when I went back to work. Finally, my mom suggested that I try supplementing with soy because all three of us were allergic to milk. BAD MOVE! HUGE allergic reaction to the soy and the CONSTANT screaming began. It lasted for three weeks through four formulas and this depressing day when some woman came and picked up all my milk (disgusting, but if someone wanted..take it). Finally, we found this crazy expensive formula..$300 a month..Prevacid..and who knew not all bottles were the same. Drop-ins are a lifesaver! So here I sit, writing this while our newly found sweetie naps for the third time today! :)

Although I believe everyone faces some sort of difficulty when learning to be a parent (like just being responsible for someone else's life isn't enough), I see ours as somewhat significant to something greater. Our situation helped me see things from a different perspective. I have always said I wanted to be a mother. "Have babies and stay home" was a typical statement for me and even got me into a bit of trouble at my first job. But I didn't care..it was what I was meant to do. Until recently. I started working at TWC a little over a year ago and couldn't have imagined how it would change me. How the people I met would change me. Before that, I changed jobs pretty frequently...once to twice a year to be exact ;)....because I knew that I wasn't meant for Corporate America. It was just my means to the end. I'm not going to lie..the first month of my job at TWC was slightly rough..thanks to a very particular man ;)...but after that transition, I definitely saw the reason behind it (I'm not saying I liked it...ha ha). The job made me question my original purpose. I enjoyed going to work and figured I would find a way to manage both, when the time came. Well, that time came a little sooner than expected and 5 months into the job, I was faced with the dreaded conversation. It worked out fine and 8 months later...I was "enjoying" maternity leave. Then came the decision that seemed so easy just a year before. I talked myself into the fact that working was the best thing for me and Corbin. A very wise lady ;) told me one time that a happy mother was a good mother and that meant that no matter whether I worked or stayed home..if I was happy, Corbin would be happy. So I signed Corbin up for daycare and dropped him off at nanny's house on my first day back.

It was suddenly clear as day. I was wrong. Everyone finds their way differently and I have been known to completely believed in signs. The most obvious one being a voice that tells you where you should go and what you should do. I had ignored mine in going back to a job I loved. The more I ignored it, the sicker Corbin became. I believe in fate, but I also believe that when you chose to ignore your own fate..it finds a way of reminding you of your own direction. I believe Corbin is my reminder. The first day back was what I needed to remind myself that even though, I could be a good working mother...Corbin needed me more than that and the sacrifice I needed to make was one for him. To learn what it truly means to be a mother.

I know that every baby is different and some, Richard in fact, thrive on watching thier mothers do it ALL. My hopes in leaving TWC to stay at home with him is that in 20 years I will know that my sacrifice shaped him into who he will become. I know Richard looks at his mother that way. That she worked to prove to him that she was willing to do everything she could to provide for him. My mother always speaks of this job she LOVED when she met my father. She gave it up to move to India with him. To this day, she describes it as the best job she ever had. Not because the work was so thrilling, but because of the people she shared it with. I'm sure TWC will be that for me. I'm not the easiest person to understand and for the first time in my career, I felt proud of who I was. I even got to work with someone just like me :)! I am forever changed by each of them and in 20 years, Corby will be too.

2 comments:

The Nealons said...

So insightful. I am so glad you are able to stay home and am thrilled that Corbin seems to like the $300/month formula. I can only hope to be prepared for whatever our little guy is going to throw our way. You really are an inspiration...thanks for sharing it in your blog.

Camille said...

Congrats on your decision to stay at home with Corbin. I know that in the corporate world that can be a difficult decision to make (I for one dread "that talk" whenever it comes around). I have no doubt you'll be very happy and so will Corbin! Good luck!